Tuesday, October 16, 2007

News on Riley

Here is the latest news we have received about Riley. As most of you know Scotts sister Deb is taking care of Riley while we are gone - This is the email she sent us today.

From: Deb Owen
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:16 PM
To: 'Leenstra, Greg'; 'Terri Leenstra'; 'Gregory Leenstra'; Scott Leenstra
Cc: 'Dan Owen'

Subject: FUNNY FOR THE DAY - The pictures don't do justice to the real thing

Scott (don’t look at the pictures until you have read this whole email)

I think I need to share something with you. A few weeks back Riley had some fun with a skunk (maybe thought it was Sylvester) and he got sprayed. I washed him twice (with regular soap) the night it happened and it did not help. So the next day I went to the store and bought a dog clipper and hacked away at his extremely long locks. The guards on the clipper did not work because his hair is so thick and fuzzy it would clog up the clippers. I ended up removing the guard and holding each curl and hacking them off (I even got down to the skin a few times), the whole hair cutting thing took at good two hours. Then I went online and found a recipe to get rid of the stink which worked okay but did not completely remove the smell. Needless to say, at that point I could not take Riley out in public. We celebrated the October birthday’s last Sunday and mom mentioned tomato juice (which Dan brought up before). So off to the store I go for the tomato juice.

Now you need to go to the last email on this page to pickup the rest of the story.


-----Original Message-----From: Leenstra, Greg

Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:00 PM
To: Deb Owen; Terri Leenstra; Gregory Leenstra
Subject: RE: FUNNY FOR THE DAY

We need a picture.

From: Deb Owen
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 9:01 AM
To: 'Terri Leenstra'; Leenstra, Greg; Gregory Leenstra
Subject: FUNNY FOR THE DAY

Okay, so I told you how ugly Riley looks after the skunk incident. Because he still stunk so badly when he got wet I decided to try mom’s home remedy of tomato juice. Well, things have gone bad to worse. Now not only is he so ugly (because of his hair cut) and still smells like skunk (even after his tomato juice bath), but to top it all off now he is PINK. Good thing I only washed the front half of him. LOL!

I think it is now time to tell Scott what I have done to his dog!

Deb

Scott,

The pictures don’t really do it justice. The camera is not picking up the pink hue. I am really sorry about the whole thing but I can’t stop laughing. The kids are going to crackup when they get home. Mom has suggested that I rewash him with peroxide recipe I used originally. Maybe that will bleach him back out! LOL – I can’t stop laughing. I can’t believe he is really pink!

Anyway, I am hoping he looks presentable when you come home in December. I think I will have to take him to the groomer.

Talk to you soon!

Love,
Deb


Riley's Lovable Look Before We Left!

Notice the Pink Hue

What an Ugly Dog - Poor Riley! (the poodle comes out in him)
Deb - I think you need to add the pink bows on his ears to top it off and to match his coat color!!

3 comments:

denise said...

That has got to be the worst looking excuse for a dog I've ever seen! Good thing we know how cute he can be!
At least you know he's being well taken care of. I don't think I would have spent that much time doing everything Deb did. I think the idea of going to the groomer is a good one. Maybe would have been easier (and cheaper) from the start.
Thanks for the laughs! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Poor Riley!!! You'd think he would know better then to mess around with a skunk!! LOL Hopefully a lesson was learned.

I miss him......Deb if you read this, give him a hug from me. :)

Much love!

joan b. said...

Oh, my.