Thursday, August 2, 2007

Round-about - traffic circles



OK they are not that big - but when I was first driving this is what I felt I was getting myself into. It was scary to figure out whose turn it is to go in what direction. Here are the tips I learned from the internet:

Approaching a traffic circle
Always yield at a traffic circle.
Vehicles already in the traffic circle and those vehicles entering the circle on your right have the right of way.
Proceed with caution only once all vehicles on your right have passed.
Note that all vehicles already in the circle have right of way.

I have added this one to the list - IF you are not sure what direction you want to go - just keep going around the circle until you make up your mind. Remember if you are in the circle you have the right of way!!

Here is a video of a mock me in a traffic circle (I am the red car - or sometimes I am the one sitting at the traffic circle taking the video - not sure when to go)




WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???
Here are a few of the things I just wonder what were they thinking? (I get a lot of time to think here)

First - outlets and plugs - Now as you can see in the picture you have the outlet (which is the standard in all the houses) - then you have and adpater to fit the plug on the appliance you have purchased and when that adapter doesn't work you buy yet another to make it work. Now why would they not make all the plugs the same - There should be no need for adapters. The US doesn't seem to have a problem!! (Note: not one plug is universal here - only the outlet which doesn't work for half the stuff you buy)


Next - the mirrors in the bathrooms - now tell me how is someone who is short suppose to see themselves in a mirror when they are up so high? Here is me on my tip toes taking a picture of what I see when I am trying to put on my makeup and do my hair in the bathroom.

Next, the locks on the doors (every house here) - Our house when we rented it included 15+ different skeleton keys for the doors in our house. Now - how are you suppose to keep them apart? And who needs 15+ keys on thier keychain?

these keys are yet to be identified to a door in our house

and Last, - TILE FLOORS - yes I get the concept that it gets hot here in the summer - but tile floors throughout the whole house? Now how is an average housecleaner (or less than par one like me) suppose to keep up with that. Mind you the grout in the tiles is red dirt and comes loose when you walk on it. Just look at the lovely feet of the kids from walking around in the house. I can see now why people pay for housecleaners. From the looks of the socks - you may think I have not washed the floor in months - not true - when you mop the floors you are just spreading more of the red sand/grout on the floor - now you have more of a mess - Also along with all tile floors comes all the dust bunnies- LOVE IT





Baths almost everyday - Where does all the dirt come from?


My last bit - Getting real internet at the house (ASDL). This has been a long process to get this at the house - I told my friend michelle the other day (cost me $110 for a 20 minute phone call using my credit card - OOPS) I could probably go back to school - graduate - get a job at the phone company and install my own line by the time they get to us here. We are still waiting. Can not wait to Skpe people!!!


OLD VS NEW

This is our office room - just a little spare room - we had not had a chance to buy a desk - So Scott (who is the greatest in making things work) made a desk out of some of the cardboard boxes we have accumulated from buying different things in the house. Pretty good huh?



Then yesterday we went to Fesco - a guy on the side of the road who makes furniture - and we purchased some of his creations. We also have a special order coming on monday or tuesday - we design it - he will build it. We are still airing out the room from the strong smell of stain on the furniture.

(Scott has been living in this room the past few days)



So what is next? We are still trying to make the house look like a home - scott is busy with work stuff - the kids are being very creative with things to do - Still looking for a church - I would love to start GEMS here - Looking for friends - loving all the emails from everyone - loving all the snail mail too!!- We take a daily trips to the post office. Thank you all for all your prayers - they are essential as it gets discouraging at times. We are adjusting slowly to a new world. LOVE TO ALL!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see things are getting in order. I like your list of "what the???" How is the business going Scott? Tell the kids that Jake and Aiden say hello and good luck with the internet thing.
In Him
G-

Anonymous said...

Blogging world missed you for a week! Sure do miss you guys! You are going to have to take me into the traffic circle when I come and visit. LOL. Looks like fun. Well it sounds like things are going good for the most part. Love and miss you bunches!

Michelle said...

Hi guys! That roundabout circle thing would freak me out! you know I drive like a grandma so I would probably just stay at home. I am glad to hear that you are not "just staying home" and are getting out there discovering your new town. I will soon send you a more detailed email to catch you up on things on the hill and beyond....

much love from all of us to all of you!!!

Katie said...

I would probably just stay home too :) Or I would sit waiting to get in the traffic circle till there wasn't anyone else on the road which probably doesn't happen till everything is closed at night and then really there wouldn't be any point to getting out. So I would probably just stay at home :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Lia - that would be awesome if you could find a church and then start a GEMS program!!

Can you imagine ME trying to navigate a car in S. Africa?? Oh, my, I'd leave home and never find my way back!

I think I'd just wear cheap slippers in the house and forget trying to keep the floors clean - sounds like it's impossible anyway, so . . .

Love and miss you! Aunt Marva

Anonymous said...

Hey Lia, I don't think anyone could realize how scary those round a bouts are! You're video was a great way to show them. I didn't even like going around them when someone who knew what they were doing was driving!
If you get fuzzy slippers,they will catch the red dirt and the dust bunnies!!
Really hope you find a good church, are there any Delivernance Churches in SA. I know they are in Zambia and Kenya. The one in Lusaka is much like ours at home, with an English service and then a service in their native language. They even sing our praise and worship songs! They are a large denomination in Africa.
Take care, love ya.
Barb

denise said...

That round-about video makes me dizzy! I don't think I could do that very well either. I've maneuvered small ones here and there, but never anything quite like that!
I definately think the fuzzy slippers are the way to go. That red grout would drive me crazy. I'll have to bring some slippers along when we come to visit!
Hope you had a good church experience this morning. Pastor Scott was back from a month long vacation today and it was great to hear him preach again. I'm sure you must miss that. Loving and missing you bunches! Mom

Lis said...

I just tagged you! Check out my blog for details! I know it is dumb - but hey I thought you might need something to do! Love ya, Lis

Sonny Huisman said...

I think I would throw up from all the circles!

I love the fuzzy slipper idea . . . you could call them SLIFFERS (kind of like a swiffer). There's your get rich quick scheme Chelle!

Faith noticed Maddie's missing tooth before I even got to the part about her losing it!

Sonny Huisman said...

Did you see the new GEMS blog that Lis started?