Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Penguins

I know I am dragging out our Cape Town Trip pictures - I apologize - Here is one of our highlights of the trip. We are so used to seeing penguins at the zoo and we assume that their habitat is in cold climates. Well, let me introduce to you the Jackass Penguins that live in Simons Town, South Africa.
It is "nesting" time for the penguins. They are busy grooming each other and building nests. We saw all stages of penguins - eggs, newborns (which are so fuzzy) and those losing their fuzz, and then adults.
Laying out in the sun!
See the fuzzies!!
I assumed we were only going to be able to see the penguins from a fenced boardwalk. But, as we were walking out I spotted another trail and we were able to go on the beach with the penguins!! How awesome!! They were too busy grooming to notice we were right there. You could actually pet them (we didn't because they do bite). We had a great afternoon with the penguins. It was great to sit an observe them in their natural environment.

Here is the sign in the parking lot:


I have a video uploading of a penguin gathering "stuff" for his woman's nest!! I just love watching them walk. It looks hilarious that they do not use their arms/wing. When the video is done uploading I will post it.

1 comment:

LCHS 2013 said...

It amazes me all the crazy sights and sounds you are experiencing this year in Africa...it makes me a little jealous and makes me really want to travel and hang out with your fam for a week!