Friday, March 28, 2008

GEMS

Just the typing of the word brings me so much joy!! I loved being a part of GEMS back home and I now have had the opportunity to start a new GEMS club here at our church!! I am so excited!! Eastside Community Church has been praying for 4 years for someone or something to come along for a club for kids grades 3 to 5. Of course I had a GREAT idea for them. The problem was I only know GEMS not Cadets, and they wanted a boys and girls club. Well, somehow Scott ended up volunteering to run the boys side!! I was so thrilled!!!

So, the past few months I have been presenting the idea of GEMS and Cadets to the church. I was nervous, because it is all new to them. The pastor and children's director were so happy that there were such programs. They, however, did have a problem using the word Cadets. It is associated with "cadet/military" courses that were used in schools here. The children's director made up a name of BUGS (Boys Under our Great Savior). They will still be using the cadet format.

They recruited some people to be counselors 4 men and 4 women. Being new to the church, it was hard to know who is who and if they are already been plugged in. The church also has visitors weekly. Some weeks half of the congregation is visiting. What an opportunity we have to reach out!!

We had a GEMS and BUGS "kick-off!" How wonderful to see 10 girls and 8 boys come with their parents to see what these programs were all about. It was a night of food, fellowship, introductions (seeing how we are new to the church and they are new to us), and a trial run on what a typical night would be like. It was great that the parents could stay and see what their kids will be doing on a Friday night.



Just arriving and enjoying the fellowship





Our First GEMS photo!!

I did not get any photos of the boys because they split off and did their own thing. By the time I was able to take their group photo they were off. Scott did an awesome job!!


Gabby and Robyn excited about teaching and getting to know the girls


Yolanda already embracing the girls!!

WOW - is all I can say. What a wonderful night and I could not be more excited about it!!

I have just found out as well that I will be traveling to Zambia in the beginning of May to visit and interview the GEMS clubs/girls there!!! There is a team from the U.S. coming to do training for the counselors, visit the GEMS clubs, visit the "House that GEMS built", find info out regarding a school that they would like to put there, and set up the August trip for a Bible club and Get Connected Camp. I am so happy to be a part of it. As you may know - part of the reason we came down to South Africa was so that I could have the opportunity to go to Zambia. God is so good!! God has blessed me so much in the GEMS program that I in turn want to bless others and share with Girls Everywhere the love of God!!!

If you have never been on the GEMS website - check it out and you can see how God is working through this amazing program. You can also get updated on the clubs in Zambia and the mission there. There is also a Promo video that you can see to get an idea on how much GEMS impacted me and how much it means to the girls!!

I am so grateful to be a part of GEMS and to use my passion for it here in South Africa and now in Zambia!!!! Please pray for the GEMS programs everywhere, for each girl whose lives are being touched by it, each counselor who teaches and shares their love for Christ and for the GEMS staff and board who help put this all together.

They are having GEMS Sunday back home at Caledonia CRC (end of the season). I am so sad to miss it!! Melissa has been doing a fabulous job taking over as Club Coordinator. I want to say hi to all the counselors and girls - I miss you guys!! Thanks to Sonny too for all she does too!! So if you are in the area of Caledonia check out the GEMS on Sunday and say a little prayer for Lis as she is going in front to talk!!

7 comments:

denise said...

How wonderful! Looks like you had a great kick-off and we will pray that each meeting will reach more and more kids.
We are so proud of the work you are both doing in SA. God is certainly using your gifts.
Love you all so much! Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Congrats on starting GEMS....Very exciting. Love and miss you tons.

Lis said...

Thanks for praying for us! The service went well today - right now I am a bit bummed because I had them video it and I hurried home to watch it and "hear" what I said and it says the DVD is blank... I was hoping to send it to you... will see. But the girls did a fabulous job singing! You would have been very proud - and I didn't even cry! So all was good! I am so glad to hear all about what is happening with GEMS in SA! As I said in my "speech" this morning - God is good all the time! Yeah God! Thanks for the prayers and encouragement. Tomorrow night our first year without you is officially over. Can you believe it??!! Love you and miss you SO much! Lis

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you, Lia!!!  You are doing such a great job!!!!  Just think how far you have come and grown in the years.  You used to hate to just go in and get pizza.  Now look at you!!!  I'm so thankful God is using you for His great work in a far away land.  I can't tell you how excited I am for you.  God is so good all the time.I miss all of you and love you so much.Mom V.

joan b. said...

Lia! Your dream is coming true! It's obvious God has you in the right place at the right time. You must be a wonderful gift to your church!
Sending love and prayers,
Aunt Joan

LCHS 2013 said...

I can definitely "hear" the passion through your writing. They are so blessed to have someone with such a big heart working to start a kids program there. They are in good hands! :)
I hope that the congregation there sees (like Caledonia CRC sees/saw) your heart and passion for their kids. Blessings to you and Scott on this new and exciting journey of GEMS and BUGS!

Marva's "Marvalous" Memories said...

WOW - I haven't check your blog in a while - sorry about that!! How wonderful that you have gotten GEMS and "Bugs" up and running. Who knows how many kids will be blessed by these programs! And you get to see Barb in Zambia - awesome!!! Keep being used by God - no matter where you are!! Love you!! Aunt Marva