Saturday, July 14, 2007

THE ZOO

What a beautiful day we had yesterday. We decided to get out of the house and actually do something. We visited the Pretoria Zoo. What an amazing zoo. The kids were so excited we could hardly contain them. They were pointing and screaming at every animal. It was a very open zoo so it felt like you could touch the giraffe, rino, elephants, and “deer” Scott and I were amazed at the landscaping and can only imagine what the zoo looks like in the spring and summer. We sure had a relaxing day. We will definitely be going back when it is spring (maybe for Alex’s birthday in October). Enjoy the pictures. I have resized all the pictures so they upload fast - I hope the quality is good.




Maddie wanted us to take a picture of the Koalas because it reminder her of Auntie Betsy


This Baboon was pulling his hair out and eating it






The Bird Sanctuary was three stories tall and amazing - You can see Pretoria in the background.




We looked at the hippos for a while and after a few minuetes a baby hippo popped out of the water. Maddie and Alex - they couldn't awe enough.



OTHER ANIMALS





My favorite part - THE TIGERS


Incredible scenary -will look amazing in the spring (It is winter here)











Break time
Flamingos???
The elephants
Pigeons eating the elephant dung
The last place we went was to the aquarium and the shark was huge.
Alex was pretty scared - We had to leave - It was so sad

It took Maddie awhile, but she finally agreed to a picture by the shark




T

8 comments:

Lis said...

Awesome pictures Lia! We sure don't have zoo's with all those animals! Sounds like you had a great family day! The kids already look older - is that possible?! Conference has been awesome as always. Can't wait to share more. God is so good! Love ya, Lis

Anonymous said...

Weird - I am in Barb and Melissa's room and I'm checking out your blog. I saw the picture of Alex and Scott and said "wow, Alex looks older!" Lis said "that's weird - I just wrote that on her blog!" As you know from Lis's blog, the conference was great. Tomorrow I get to spend tomorrow with my sister-in-law - that will be nice. Take care! Love ya! Aunt Marva

ASchaaf said...

Hey Lia-

I found your blog through Melissa's. Wow...your family is on a great journey! Looking forward to reading more about your adventures. I can relate with what you are going though. Kevin and I spent a semester in the Netherlands while he was in grad school. I am sure that your experience is much different with kids. Enjoy each new adventure! Take care!
Amy :)

Anonymous said...

How cute!

I was going through withdrawel because I couldn't check your blog without internet......

Looks like you are all doing great....

Miss you lots!!!

Michelle said...

Hey Scott and Lia,
I just found some notes from a friend S. Africa. I asked her for some words in Afrikaans when I was in a training with her last Dec:
Lekker = nice
dankie = thank you
goeie dag = hello
tot siens = good

The zoo looks awesome. Always look forward to your blog getting updated to see how things are going!

Michelle said...

Oops, I meant that tot siens is good bye. I'm sure you knew all those already, but now us English speaking only people at home can know a few words in Afrikaans! : )

Sonny Huisman said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIA!!!!! Wow, could it be that you are the big 3 - 0? Gettin old girl!

Anyway! I've thoroughly enjoyed getting caught up on your blog! Your house looks amazing, and the zoo looked like a blast! Thanks for posting all the pictures! I feel like I was there with you!

Give the kids a hug for us! Love you!

Michelle said...

the animals at the zoo scared me a little :) beats 'ol John Ball though.

my kids sure loved the pix.
thanks for posting!

sending love your way today!