Thursday, July 5, 2007

HAPPY 4th of JULY

I sure hope everyone had a great 4th of July with family and friends. I was sitting yesterday thinking (which may not be good to do sometimes) about going to the cottages and the holiday. I was crying a bit, because even though we have only been gone a little while – I know that the Leenstra’s will be up at their cottage (in the sun) and the Dieleman/Wierenga – Brummel Clan will be up at the cottage on good ole Whitefish Lake. The Veenstra’s probably on the river on a boat. It sure is nice to be around family. We definitely have been spending a lot of quality time together as a family here.

It is terribly cold. Think of it as camping in the end of October. I bet it has not reached over 50 degrees in the house the last few days. I am definitely not use to this. Oh – I also have received the cold virus from my wonderful family. I have almost finished a 450 page book in two days. I can not put it down. I do not remember the last time I have sat and read a book. It sure is nice to not be so busy at night with this and that.

We sure are learning a lot already. People are nice and willing to help as much as they can. We now have a gardener. It was weird watching him do our small yard and mop the patio deck. He was happy to get another job. They do not make much, but they are so eager to work.

Scott had his first business meeting today and is going to finish the entry.

The meeting went well. The meeting started b/f I arrived (I wasn’t late) and everyone was speaking in Afrikaans. They kindly switched to English for me. I met a contractor there who is interested in building with the type of blocks that we will be making. It looks like for this first project (if we get it) he will do the wall building if we just supply the blocks. Long term he is willing to work with us and be the general contractor for building walls and home and will let us use our own teams of guys to actually build the walls and house structures.

I have a quote due by the middle of the month, so I need to have a few more meetings to make sure we are all on the same page. If it all works out, we will have to have a block yard up and running by the beginning of October.

It’s 6:30 pm and I have to go b/f the store closes. We need another heater.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I miss you guys!

Praying it warms up so you guys don't freeze!

Get will soon Lia!!!

Amy said...

hey guys! so good to hear from you! kate and i are at the sand lake library using the free wireless (as we don't have any at the cottage) and i was so glad to finally read your blog. i'm so happy you guys made it safely and are getting settled. it's so sweet to see the kids smiling in the photos. miss you and love you all! xxoo

amy

Anonymous said...

We missed you at the cottage on the 4th too, but we know you are where you are meant to be right now. So, your own personal gardener, huh? Don't get too spoiled! Take care and keep the updates coming. Love you all! Aunt Marva

Greg said...

Mow your own lawn ya lazies! Seriously though, you have a gardener? Good luck with the 1st of hopefully many business deals Scott. We taught your dog how to swim this weekend. Deb has pictures and will get them to you. He did really well with a little help. Oh and it was 90 degrees here on Sunday. Mom and Dad are doing well and say hello too. Love ya all.
G-

Dad & Mom said...

Glad to hear of your safe arrival. G & J were keeping us updated until we could get to the Howard City library to check for ourselves.

Had a good week at the lake. Got lots done and enjoyed Greg & Jen, Dan & Deb and grandkids visit. (Of course we missed you!)

Hopefully you are all feeling a little better by now and the heaters help a little to warm things up.

Love & Hugs & Kisses from the both of us!

Heather said...

Hi Lia!

It was great to finally read your blog, see your smiling faces and your home. I'm glad you're settling in, except I'm sorry you are sick. What book did you read?

Phoebe talks about Maddie and how far away she is, etc. It's sweet. She misses her already. Feel better soon! I'll keep checking your blog for more pictures and updates. So much fun.

HS

Anonymous said...

You were missed at the cottage on the 4th! We talked about the time difference and were wondering what you might be doing. Not likely you were celebrating the 4th as we do here in the States, of course. Love checking your site and getting the updates! Love you, too! Sending prayers......