Saturday, June 28, 2008

Holiday Club at Eastside Community Church

So the reason for lack of blogging is I volunteered to teach Grade 0 (Kindergarten) for Holiday Club. Holiday Club is like VBS, but so intense. It started at 7:00am and ended at 1:00pm (well, I would leave at 2:00pm). It was a week I will never forget. I can not believe I was able to get up at 5:30am - get the kids up at 6:00am and leave the house by 6:30am!! I am already so tired from being pregnant - I was thinking I may be crazy to think I could handle this.
.
But the second the kids showed up for Club, I was greatly blessed. These kids are so special!! I had Alex in my class (there were four grade 0 classes - about 55 kids). Here is my class (minus some that came later in the week):

One of my helpers reading a Bible story until the kids got picked up. I had 3 wonderful helpers who were in the 8th grade. They helped me organize the day - cut out materials - decorate the room - help serve lunch - monitor the kids at free time - THEY WERE AWESOME!!

Kiddie Sports

Sweet NuNu

The daily routine included - Opening session with songs and skits - Bible memory - Kiddie Sports - Lunch - Bible Lesson - Craft. A jammed packed day - Did I mention the amount of potty breaks per day?!? At least 3!!

These kids were amazing and so eager for attention and to learn! I had one boy who cried (or wanted to be by himself) for 15 min everyday in the morning and then was fine the rest of the day. (Alex immediately wanted to be his friend - and talked to him every morning to get his mind off how sad he was - what a loving heart!!) At the end of the week his mother was so grateful that he had made it the whole week and that he had created such a bond with the kids and me. At the program last night he presented me with chocolate and flowers!! and he made a picture for Alex!! SO SWEET!!
.
Here is Maddie at Holiday Club: Can you notice one of her bad habits - CHEWING!!

Madison had so much fun - and like always created such a great fondness for her teacher Stacey. It just reminds me how much teachers have such an effect on kids. The kids really look up to them! So my Hats off to ALL TEACHERS in schools, Sunday school, VBS programs, GEMS, Cadets, Youth Leader!!! You do amazing work!!!

I am so glad I was part of this amazing event - Overall there were probably 500 - 550 kids (grades 0 - 7)that attended and 120 volunteers! The volunteers were a lot of 8th grade - 12th graders that stayed in house parties - that not only helped out at Holiday Club, but they also had club of their own! They were at church at 5:45 am and stayed most days until 9:00pm!!
.
Here are some more pictures, including the program that was last night!

Tanya doing a skit on stage - She organize all of Holiday Club - at the age of 22!!! She did a great job!!
Kids that attended - minus grade 6 and 7 who had their own program outside

My helpers and I with our class at the program

Alex doing the motions!!

Watching the last "episode" of Explosion Sports at the program


"Tim and Jim" - hilarious!! Alex's favorite part was the big camera that followed everyone around!
.
Wow - What a week - I am so exhausted (the kids too)! We had such a great time and the kids really enjoyed every moment!!

4 comments:

Katie said...

I bet you were exhausted! Looks you had a great turnout though - you are so good at doing that stuff

denise said...

Looks like lots of fun! Maddie and Alex seem to fit right in there. We had sports camp this past week too and it was great! Glad you were feeling up to the task of this camp and that you were blessed by it. Looking forward to hearing what the doctor has to say tomorrow! Love you, Mom D

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time for the kids and a lot of work for all the leaders.
Hope you get rested up this week and a good report from the doctor tomorrow.
Love,
Dad & Mom L

Anonymous said...

People should read this.