Monday, May 5, 2008

Zambia


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.


I had the amazing opportunity to go to Lusaka, Zambia to visit some of the GEMS clubs! I have come home completely amazed on how God is working in the lives of girls everywhere! The smiles of these girls is enough to make your heart melt! They are full of love and such hope! Words can hardly describe the experience I had. I have such a passion for the GEMS program and to be able to see how this program is affecting counselors and girls in Zambia has been eye opening experience.


We serve an awesome GOD!


I was so nervous to fly by myself to Zambia, but when I got off the plane and was waiting in line to enter the country - Barb Miedema popped her head around the corner to greet me. My nerves completely left and was so excited to see someone familiar.

We met up with the other women involved in GEMS that were from Canada and US. Our first stop was to the House that GEMS built. There is 7 kids and a mama in the house. We brought some gifts for them and letters from GEMS girls in North America. They were very excited, especially picking out a new pair of shoes. We then watched them play tether ball. We caused so much noise that the neighboring kids were trying to see what was going on. It was a great visit!

On Friday, I was able to see the training and equipping of the women in Zambia to be counselors and to start their own clubs. The women were so eager to learn. At the end of the training day we were presented with Kangas (cloth wrap skirts). They wanted to show their appreciation for all we had done during the week. We then ended the day with by praying over them. God was working there. Earlier in the day, I was able to help Tina DeKam in interviewing a few girls and counselors. They gave their faith stories and it was great to see how GEMS was a great part of them growing in their walk with God!

Then cams Saturday - the day I was looking forward to. We were able to walk the streets and visit 6 of the GEMS clubs that were meeting. WOW!! I have never been so moved. The girls recited verses, prayed, sang, and thanked us for being there. Some of the girls put on a little presentation. They were all excited to show us how far they had come in the past year. I had the awesome opportunity to talk and interact with the girls. I showed the girls some string games and just took the time to talk with them. They were so full of joy and smiles! Smiles that I will never forget!


Some of the stories of the girls were very moving. One girl talked about becoming a journalist. She wanted to write a story about herself and how her life was without having a father. Some girls shared their faith story using beads - black to represent the sin that was in their life before Christ, red - to show that Jesus' blood was shed for her, white - to show that God had made them clean, and green - to show that they were still growing in God's love. Then I heard the story of one girl, Lisa, that was at GEMS that day. The day before (Friday) she came home to find her mom hanging (she was 4 months pregnant). Her mom had committed suicide. I later found out that her father had tried to commit suicide too. He is in the hospital and not sure if he will come out. This girl is 9 years old. I can not even imagine what must be going through her mind. The sadness is so overwhelming to me. I just keep thinking that if GEMS was not there in Zambia - where would that girl be that morning? I hope she felt comfort within the GEMS club - a place she could be during a sad time in her life. A place to feel God's love for her! Every girl has a story and some you can just see in their eyes. My prayer for each girl is that they have a great place to feel the love of God - a place they belong - a place of fun - a place of loving arms waiting for them!! Please pray for these girls!

Among the stories of sadness, there were also stories of hope and happiness . One of the counselors, Catherine, was so full of joy it radiated off her. She walked with us to show us where all the clubs were meeting. I bet we walked a good 4 miles. Catherine showed us her home and shared lunch with us. She was so excited to show us the new water well that was just put next to her house. I was so blessed by her enthusiasm and excitement for the GEMS clubs and the girls. She was the type of person you just wanted to be by!! She has reminded me that each day is a new day - and you can choose what type of day it is going to be. A day to dwell on the bad - or a day to rejoice and let your light shine!


While walking to all the clubs, I was able to see and take in our surroundings. It is a different world there. A part of me will always be there. It made such an impact on me and it has really humbled me in realizing how much I have. I have also learned that God's love is for everyone - no matter what your story is.


Before the trip came to an end for me and a few others, we went to the local market. Of course we were all offered a "special price" What a hoot! I will have to post a picture of the gifts I brought home to the kids!

What an awesome, unforgettable weekend! Part of my heart is there with all the clubs. I hope I have an opportunity to go back and visit. I will never forget the impact their love, hope, and excitement had on me.


Please pray for these GEMS clubs - Pray for all the GEMS clubs throughout the world! I believe that God is working in these clubs - in the counselors and the each girl. GEMS is making an impact in girls lives everywhere. Pray that each girl will see that God has a plan for each of their lives. His hand is guiding them, his love is comforting them, and his arms are always around them. I have seen what an impact GEMS has on my life and I pray that these girls will see it in their own lives. God is there in both the joyous times and the saddest of times! He will never leave.

GIRLS EVERYWHERE MEETING THE SAVIOR - Helping girls grow in their relationship with Christ.

5 comments:

denise said...

What an amazing trip. So happy you were able to go and that it went so well. Thanks for sharing all the great pictures and sharing your stories with us. We are so proud of you! We will pray for these clubs and the girls and counselors involved and hope that you'll be able to visit them again sometime. Love you, Mom and Dad D

MikeandLynette said...

Lia~

What an awesome experience for you. Everyone involved in the GEMS program is in my prayers. Your pictures are great. Thanks for sharing... it reminds me of the old song... "Jesus love the little children, all the children of the world..."

Lynette

Katie said...

Lia those kids are all so precious. What an awesome trip - you have such a gift when it comes to gems!

It was great talking to you today too!

Marva's "Marvalous" Memories said...

Oh, Lia, I can't even imagine! What an experience. It was so fun to look at all the pictures - the girls all look so excited. God is doing amazing things through GEMS! Thanks for sharing!!! Love and miss you! Aunt Marva

Anonymous said...

Hi Lia,
We are home in Michigan, even though I feel so at home in Zambia! We had great travel and arrived on time in GR with all our bags! Hurray! Thanks for sharing how you were touched! You can't go there and not be moved, and I pray that God will be with our girls until we return! Love ya, Barb