Friday, June 8, 2007

SHOTS

Oh, yes today was the day to bring the kids to get their shots. A day that I was wishing would never come. A few weeks ago Scott and I received our shots for disease prevention in Africa (Yellow Fever, Hep A, Typhoid, etc). About 2 hours after we got the shots, I called Scott to see how his arm felt (hoping I was not the only whimp). We both could not lift our arm for the rest of the day. It was painful. I actually almost fainted (did I mention I do not like shots). So anyway, I now had to convince Maddie and Alex that it was a piece of cake and that it didn't hurt. Alex was OK with it, but Maddie knew better. She was telling Alex - "It does hurt, I remember when I was 3 like you and it does hurt!" So I had to prepare them (and bribe them with candy and dollar store gifts if they were brave). We arrived at the doctors and they asked who wants to go first and Alex raises his hand and says ME ME ME! OK he gets his first one - all his says is OUCHY and that was that - bandaide on - sucker in mouth. Maddie was a little weary, but OK with the first. Then we had to go to the Travel Doctor to get the last two (also the most painful). Again Alex ME ME ME (he was so excited to get a spiderman bandaide). He did not like those too much, but again only a little cry and done after the bandaides were on. Maddie on the other hand did not like the first and was certain to not get the next two. She hid behind a chair and was holding on to it for dear life (MOM is so sad here). After prying her from behind the chair, I sat her on Scott's lap. He held her tight and I also was holding her very tight. SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM. It was so much torture for her. After the shots were done, nothing was going to help her. The funny thing is (if there is anything funny about putting your kids through this) there were two people in the waiting room who could obviously hear Maddie's bloody murder screams. We went out of the room and Scott told them, "It really isn't that bad" So Maddie is still crying and Alex is showing off all of his bandaides and ready to go. WOW, Mom is at a verge of a massive breakdown (not just from the shot episode, but from how real this is all becoming) Scott took the kids with him and I had to drive to work. It is a good thing we can wear sunglasses so no one could see the tears. I felt so bad for Maddie and Alex and all the stuff they have to go through for this trip. I just love them so much, I hate to see them cry. But the day is at an end and Maddie and Alex are sleeping. Tomorrow is another day. Little does Maddie know she will have to get another shot in South Africa before she goes to school. I will wait for another day to tell her. :) Well, another thing checked off our list of things to do before we leave.


Alex still showing off his bandaides - Spiderman, Sponge Bob, and a "regular" one.

Maddie exhausted from the crying - takes a little rest.

7 comments:

Sara said...

Poor Madison.....She's like me....I hate shots and I have panic attacks when I have to get them.....Alex is a trooper.....
It's starting to become more real every single day.....ahhh.....

Sonny Huisman said...

Poor babies! It's so hard to watch them in pain - but it's for their own good! Faith screamed like that too when she had her vaccinations . . . I had to hold her down with my arms and my legs . . . those little buggers are strong!

I can't believe how close your departure date is! Just remember - one day at a time!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you did something right....Alex was ok with it and proud of his bandaids. Poor Maddie. Hey, that reminds me....when I was in nursing school they had this cream (Emla, or something like that) that would numb the area before a shot (or procedure). Just a thought.

Marva's "Marvalous" Memories said...

Poor darlings! I can't say that I blame them although I'm getting better now that I've had 4 1/2 years of two shots a week for allergies! It's all for a good cause though, right? Love ya! Aunt Marva

Anonymous said...

Ah, shots....can't imagine all of them at once! Laiya can relate to that - she's just been through the same thing. Hope your preparations are on schedule - we'll see you at your 'sending-off' party next week :)
Love to all of you!

denise said...

It was so sad to see you feeling so bad yesterday after the shot episode. You have such a tender heart and there's nothing worse than seeing your kids hurt (I've had some experience with this myself!)
Loved Sara's comment. She is the first one I thought of when you told me about how Maddie reacted! I remember a few similar situations with her! I also remember when Amy needed blood work done when she had surgery on her arm. She actually kicked a pregnant nurse in the tummy! She was not happy!
It's such a traumatic time, but necessary. Glad it's behind you, and best not to tell Maddie about her next shot until the last possible moment!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lia, this is your cousin Chris's wife, Kelly. I just heard that you guys are moving to South Africa. WOW what an awesome oppertunity. I was just reading your blog, how sad for you sweet babies. There is nothing worse then seeing your kids hurting and not being able to take that pain away. I would move there in a heart beat, not so much Chris. Just remember God's grace is sufficent for today, let tomorrow worry about itself. Love and God bless. Kel