Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Finding light in something I hate!

Is it possible to find a little bit of fun in something you totally dislike?!? If you ask anyone in my family - the thing I hate to do the most is LAUNDRY!!! I despise it - It is a never ending job - it is annoying. "All you need is a schedule" is what I hear from a lot of people - It does not matter if I have a schedule or not - it never seems to get done. Ok I can wash the clothes - if I remember in time (before you they smell bad) place them in the dryer - maybe fold them - but it will take me weeks to put it away! I choose to just pull the clothes out as I need them.

Anyway - I have found a part of my laundry job to be "fun" or at least I enjoy it. Instead of using the dryer - I like to hang up the laundry on the clothes lines hooked to our house. WHAT you may be thinking, but just hear me out on this.


It is a sunny day and you are doing your laundry. Now just imagine going outside to hang the wet laundry up. If you have a great smelling detergent or softener the smell is relaxing. Then as you are looking to the sky (me more than others because I am short), you notice what a beautiful day it is. You may even look at the cloud formations and say a little prayer to God thanking him for the great day. (I am sure I have a few of you chuckling by now!)


I know I am weird, but it is peaceful to me - because when I am outside on the side of the house (our alley) hanging the laundry - NOBODY bugs me!! They magically leave me alone (maybe it is the fear that they may have to help or maybe they just have no idea where I went). Either way I am by myself (which is not normal for me right now) and I get to reap the benefits of laundry that has been hanging outside in the breeze - the whites get whiter, colors get brighter (or fade if you leave them out in the South African sun to long) and the smell of hanged dried clothes/sheets is priceless!!

(my alley/quiet place)
Some of you may be thinking - I thought you had a DM (domestic worker) cleaning your house and doing your laundry! I did! but she has not returned to work for the past two weeks. SHE WAS AMAZING! - our underwear was even ironed!! (TMI?) Until I find a new person to work for us - I am just enjoying the great smell of laundry and the peace and quiet (if it is only 5 minutes).
So, I guess my point is - there is always something good in something you absolutely hate to do - you just may not know what it is yet!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Lia,
I love to hang our laundry on the line too. It's so relaxing to be in the sun. I'm more likely to fold my laundry too (coming from me who currently has four basket of clean, unfolded laundry).

Anonymous said...

Lia,
I'm with you on hanging the clothes outside, they smell soo... nice! I enjoyed doing it so much while we were in SA, I've decided to put up a line up at the lake. Hanging them outside at home doesn't work very good since I'm at work all day.
Did you ever get your dishwasher fixed?
Mom L

LCHS 2013 said...

I think if I hung my laundry up to dry in WA, they'd NEVER get dry because it rains constantly!

However, I do know what you mean...my thing that annoys me to always have to do but does calm/relax me is washing my face before bed. It's annoying that I can't just go to bed when I want to (my skin is pretty sensitive and must be washed); however, I love putting a hot hot washcloth on my face and just feel the steam sinking into my skin...and then my face feels so clean right before bed!

So enjoy your laundry in the sun! :)

joan b. said...

You're resurrecting a chore from the good ol' days :) Nothing like the smell of sheets that blew in the breeze...
Love and hugs from Michigan (it's finally spring!)