Saturday, September 20, 2008

Love

HAPPY 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!
.
September 19, 1998
.
September 19, 2008
Then...
Now...
What a beautiful day!!
.
Scott and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary. As my mom and sisters would say - I was like a girl going on her first date! I was so excited to spend some time with Scott out in South Haven. Since we have been back from South Africa we have hardly seen each other (which is completely different than seeing him 24 hours a day in Africa). And then I was thinking - DO I STILL GOT IT! 11 years later am I the women he fell in love with?!
.
We stayed at a Bed and Breakfast in South Haven. It was so nice. This is the hors doeuvres that they served to us while we looked at menus of restaurants near by.
.
South Haven
SUNSET on the beach
.
Scott once asked me What is love? (He was not sure what to say when I confessed my true feelings for him one day in 1997 - I never wanted to be the first one to say I love you to a boyfriend). I think you can define love by what we are - our lives together. We have been greatly blessed! 2 lovely children - Maddie 7 and Alex 5 - an awesome adventure of living in Africa - and the list can go on and on..
.
A gift for a 10 year anniversary is to be aluminum, tin, or diamonds. I got all three!


.
You say what is that? - 10 aluminum roses handcrafted by Scott (coke cans, jolt cans, a mountain dew can, and barbed wire).
.
This is the card that was with it (+/- a few stuff)(hope you don't mind Scott):
.
I couldn't decide what to get you for our anniversary and apparently they say you are suppose to give either tin, aluminum, or diamonds. So I did all 3. The aluminum coke cans are red so that you know I will always love you and to remind you of our adventures in South Africa. Tin is a metal which is strong but sometimes can be weak and fragile. The tin vase represents the strength of our marriage with the realization that there are things that could easily weaken it. Finally, the "diamonds" that the flowers are planted in represents the value of you and our marriage to me. Our marriage and you are a huge part of what defines me and they both mean the world to me. You and the kids keep me humble, make me feel loved and needed daily and give me a great purpose for living.
.
.
I knew I loved this man for a reason!!! He used to write these lovely sentimental notes when we were dating and it is nice to see him still writing them! I love you Scott!!
.
Here's to another 60 years or so!

7 comments:

Katie said...

Happy anniversary Lia & Scott! May you have many more wonderful years together!

Anonymous said...

Scott you are soooo sweet. How come you never wrote nice things to me when we were growing up or made me things from scrap metal???? Happy 10 years!

G-

Anonymous said...

He's an amazing guy!

I hope you two have many many more years to come.

Love you both!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are awesome!! Sorry I missed the date, but happy anniversary you two!! Many more...your time away looks exciting! Love Elsabe

joan b. said...

Wow, you are very blessed and must feel very special, Lia. His note and hand-crafted gifts shows he put a lot of thought and time into getting you the perfect gift. Great guy - Great gal! Happy Anniversary!

Wenchy said...

Beautiful.

Steven & Robyn Ball said...

SO I finally, now that I am on leave have time to check out your blog & saw this one. Nice One Guys and in particular, NICE ONE SCOTTY! Even I felt romanticised by your card:-)

Good for you guys. Was chatting the other night to friends we staying with here in the fair Cape. Man we miss you guys and the adventures.! Anyway, Keep Well!
Steven